Tuesday, January 21, 2014

FFXIV Adventure Log : I don't know what to write!

You might have noticed that I didn't write anything in a few days. Well, that's mostly because I wrote in my log, and then torn the pages away because I wasn't pleased with it. Several times. Couldn't come up with something interesting to talk about every time. But it doesn't mean I forgot.

So let me reflect on the last week a bit.

Kimiko finally got her victory against Titan. It was a bit of a chore, but fortunately everyone stood up to the challenge and pushed through. Getting the needed material from a Primal is no easy task after all. But she can be proud of her new shiny sword and shield.

Another week of exploring the depth of the Binding Coils, but still cannot get through the elevator shaft. Those mechanical monsters are relentless, and we were sent rolling out once more. But I think we are improving at least, learning how these metallic foes behave.

More exploration of the Labyrinth of the Ancients. For many of us, we are looking for particular pieces of equipment along the way, protected by the strong foes like the Bone Dragon and its legion of skeletons. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a prize that I wanted this time.

Maybe that is why I didn't feel like writing much. A few victories to help my friends in the company, but otherwise nothing much of mention for myself. It doesn't mean I did not enjoy, but at the same time it felt like a rather average week.

On the other hand, last night we tried to help other people with Titan again, and it did not go as well either. That always puts a damper on the enthusiasm when we're not able to step up to the challenge as a team. Last week I was proud of saying that we are strong as a company and get things done. But when we cannot get it done for various reasons, it brings us back to reality.

Yesterday, it was to help Bro Mios. But he seemed to lack vital knowledge on the fight, and a healer cannot afford to drag the team down. Not on Titan at least. There is not much to spare, Titan does not forgive.

But it is also a stretch to say that it was his fault alone. Every fight is a team effort. If one lacks a little bit, then the rest of the team should be able to adjust, compensate. But it could be a number of things. A little distraction, inattention, bad luck, or inexperience working with these particular teammates. Titan has a knack for making you pay for every slight mistake, and if too many of them pile at the wrong moment, it quickly turns into a defeat.

That is part of why I wrote down the particulars of the fight into a book, that I consigned to the library of our free company. Titan Strategy at Dimensional Death.

The first thing to remember is positioning. Titan has a knack for attacking people other than the trusty Paladin or Warrior. Staying on your toes is important on any role, but especially as a healer. If the Paladin or Warrior goes down, it's because of the healer. If the healer goes down, it's also because of the healer. And during certain attacks from Titan, if some teammates go down it's also the healer's fault. A healer needs to learn when you have time to cast your spells, but also when to prioritize their own well being first. It takes a bit of adaptation as it's not as simple as what we learned in previous fights either. It goes against some parts of it as you need to focus on the right people, rather than simply aiming spells at those that are hurt the most.

So I entirely sympathize with Bro Mios here. I am also a healer after all. But so it does not drag down 7 other people in the process, there is a little bit of studying involved too. A guide like I wrote, or listening to other's experiences. Nothing replaces actual experience, but you can at least know, learn and understand better if you study it first. You learn alot faster on the field if you have that knowledge first.

No comments: