Monday, January 13, 2014

FFXIV Adventure Log : All My Relics

I think I heard that expression somewhere, 'All my Childrens'. Well, All my Relics is a bit like that. I have 4 completed relic weapons at the moment. I'm sorry for the lack of pictures, I forgot my camera home on that day.

These last two days I wrapped up the 5th one weapon from Gerolt. Well, almost, he's asking me for that Quenching Oil, I am just a little short on tomestones for it. It started with finding a group of adventurers that also needed the salts from the Dhorme Chimera. Unfortunately it was not the most experienced group I have met, and it was a little more tedious than necessary. But we shall take our spoils nonetheless. An ugly victory is a victory nonetheless, I bid them well on their fares or something.

Then several friends were willing to get some experience on their newly acquired roles to explore Amdapor Keep once again. For many of us, it was our first time in these roles, but otherwise all of us knew of the traps. It just made things a little harder as mistakes were made on the Psycheflayer and the Demon Wall. My good friend Milo was our healer, with his newly outfitted Scholar. Chitori Vaunt was on her slightly less new Paladin, but backed by a slightly less powerful team proved to be harder than usual. And Darth Atomsk rounded us up as a Bard, probably the one with the most skill and experience during that time.

The important part of learning a new role and adventuring is being open minded, modest and realistic about your own abilities. I talk alot about experience, there are many kinds of it. There's the experience at using the job, but also experience as knowledge of the area and monsters we explore. Experience of teammates working together. And overall experience in general. I hadn't explored dungeons as a Summoner before, and I am sure there are many things I still need to learn on using it effectively. Yet, I also observed from the outside, so I have a basic understanding of it. It becomes a matter of learning the tools at your disposition, when to use them and in what situation to boost their effectiveness.

As if a repeat of Chimera the day before, an attempt at Halatali's Hydra also became more tedious than necessary thanks to the mistakes of my teammates. Maybe it is just my luck, or maybe it's Darth's luck since he was helping me on both. Let's hope not.

But the rest of the way to the relic book, simply amazing. This is why I keep in such high regards the friends of my Free Company. There is no words to describe it fully.

After clearing Hydra, the word spread over the company's linkpearls about tackling on the Primals. I had no real pressure or rush to do more than Ifrit and Garuda at the time either. But let's start with Ifrit. Our group was composed of Edward as Monk, Neila as Scholar, Beau as White Mage, Chitori as Paladin, Alyna as Warrior, Cissnei as Bard and Santhara as Monk.

We had a brand new Warrior, almost fresh out of story, in our ranks. In fact, she had to run to attune herself to Garuda's crystal after we won over Ifrit. But inexperience is not as much of a big factor when you have teammates ready to coach you. Chitori also pulled out her Paladin sword again for the need, and followed our instructions for the fight, a few mishaps of no consequence either. Not a flawless fight, but far cry being being considered bad. A comfortable victory in the end, as opposed as one by the skin of our shins (did I get this one right?)

Similar with Garuda, Chitori returned to a more comfortable role of Black Mage, as we can count on Cissnei's skills with the bow on Garuda's sisters. Despite having no experience on the fight, a single mishaps when Garuda calls on her sisters. A bit of fine tuning, and we get a comfortable victory on the second try.

I would have been content to stop there that day. But my teammates are great. That's why I put so much effort into our Free Company and keep helping them whenever I can. They decided to take on Titan.

Unfortunately, taking Alyna with us was not possible at the time, but we took in a replacement, and Chitori returned once more to the role of Paladin. I'm skipping the details right now, but result? Victory with about half the team dead, but on the very first try.

Chitori needed a bit of reassurance on how to tank, but did a near perfect job at it. The failures? That would be me, in the middle of the last phase, a misjudging of the bomb blast radius downed me immediately. I think I had two bombs. But it happened relatively late fortunately, so there was still enough power to finish it. It ended with Chitori, Cissnei and our two healers Beau and Neila alive, after Santhara (or was it Edward) died after using our Limit Break.

But still, 3 relatively easy victories, even if Titan rode on other people's shoulder for the last part, it shows just how powerful our Free Company is. We don't need to compete with other Free Companies. We just need to be there when people need it, and competent when we do.

Dimensional Death, I salute you again! I shall have pictures of the relic next time!

No comments: